December Daily and Stamping Experiments!

December Daily FoundationIMG_5801 IMG_5795Happy December!  Oh wait, it’s not December yet? Clearly my office didn’t get the memo.  It looks like a Christmas confetti bomb exploded all over the place!

For the last week or so I’ve been happily adding to my stash of Christmas paper goods and putting together the foundation pages for my December Daily album.  This is probably as far as I’ll go with my album until December hits so I thought I’d share where I’m at. As fun as it is to keep adding and adding, sometimes I find that too much preparation can limit flexibility later on.

IMG_5788Cover Page:

I always get a bit nervous when I’m about to make a cover. It’s similar to the feeling of starting a new journal or planner- I just don’t want to mess it up!  In the cases when I really don’t have a direction in mind, I’ll choose materials that I don’t mind playing around with and possibly trashing if I don’t like how everything’s coming together.  Stamping is always a fun and inexpensive option for doing this.

For this cover I cut down an 8.5×11 transparency sheet to the size of my album, and used white Brilliance ink to stamp snowflakes in a random pattern all over.  This ink works well on transparency, but I did have to be careful not to smudge.  I used a light and steady hand when stamping and waited several hours for the ink to dry before doing anything else (waiting is always the hardest part!)  Some snowflakes turned out a little blurry, but overall I’m really happy with how it came together.IMG_5789IMG_5791

Next, I adhered one of the Christmas tree wood veneers and the rubber December Daily banner that came in the Ali Edwards Main Kit.  IMG_5792IMG_5793

This is just about the cutest Christmas tree I’ve ever decorated ;-) I probably would have used red and gold enamel dots for the ornaments, but since I didn’t have any on hand, pink and yellow was the direction I went.  Mixing it up here, friends!IMG_5799Divider Inserts:

I really liked how my cover turned out with using the transparency so I started working on some divider inserts too.  I’m not really planning to divide anything up in my album, but I like how using different sizes adds more interest to the album. These inserts measure 3.5″ wide by 8″ long.

I used the Joy, Peace, and Love stamps from an old Hero Arts set, and this time I decided to try Black StazOn ink to see if it would cut down on drying time (see how impatient I am? Ha!) The ink I used for the ‘Joy’ and ‘Peace’ inserts was a little dried out so it actually worked perfectly.  There was zero drying time and the words came out slightly faded, which was a nice bonus.

The ink was a little too dry when I got to stamping ‘Love’ so I broke out a new ink pad, which sadly didn’t work quite as nicely.  The wetness of the new ink made things slippery so it was difficult to get crisp words.  Sometimes it’s just trial and error!

IMG_5798

I’ve added number tags to all of my other pages, which are basically placeholders for the moment.  For some reason I like having them there . . . is anyone else like that?  It’s kind of fun having a countdown to Christmas!

So, do you have plans of putting together a December Daily of some kind this year?  Sometimes I think it might be nice to just do a daily Instagram post capturing a special moment each day.  Definitely not as involved, but I can totally see how that could be equally as special.

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “December Daily and Stamping Experiments!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s