I’m not going to lie- this book was a little tough for me to get into. However, because it was highly recommended to me (and because I purchased it and it’s been sitting on my bookshelf for about a year), I decided to push through. I’m really happy I did, because after about a hundred pages I started to “get it.” It wasn’t a groundbreaking read- as in, I didn’t have any AHA moments, but there were still a lot of wonderful and powerful points.
This book touches on self love, forgiveness, not letting what others say or do effect you in a negative way, and not letting the terrible/unjust things that have happened in the past be something that defines you. The author, Don Miguel Ruiz, has a different style of writing that I’m not used to reading- it’s very to the point. Normally I like some humor or “fluff” tossed in, but in this case I actually appreciated the brevity. He just got straight to the heart of the matter.
Here are just a few of my takeaways (keeping it brief here, but I’d definitely encourage reading this book if any of these points speak to you :-):
1) Self love is where it’s at! You have to love yourself before you can expect others too. Once you recognize your value and all of your awesomeness, others will too.
2) Find ways that you can build your own happiness. If you completely depend on others for creating your happiness, you can become possessive and jealous.
3) Don’t take things personally. If people are rude to you or act in some unjust way towards you for no reason, it doesn’t have anything to do with you. That person is going through their own battle- don’t let it get to you.
4) Forgiveness is a major key to spiritual freedom. It doesn’t mean that what someone did was right. You don’t even have to talk to that person ever again. However, forgiveness is necessary. It allows you to move on to bigger and better things- to free yourself from the hate and anger that eats at you.
5) Always remember to love unconditionally